Monday, April 4, 2011

Bloom, right where you are planted

Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "For everything you have missed, you have gained something else."

Photobucket

Spring has sprung in Northern California and it is so wonderful to watch in amazement.  The days are getting longer and the anticipation of planting our garden is mounting.  Which got me thinking about a quote I have often heard. . .

Photobucket

Mary Engelbreiht's quote, "Bloom where you are planted"

Photobucket

After being here in Northern California for the last year and a half and struggling with trying to "break into" a small, close-knit community, I think I understand the meaning of this quote just a little bit better. 

You see, God planted the gardens and I can imagine some of the plants blooming and wondering, "Why was I planted here?  God in His infinite wisdom knew why and where the plants would bloom the best, where they would be the most beneficial and serve the most purpose.  He didn't give them a choice to plant themselves in a location that "they" wanted. . . .  He chose for them.  Just like He chose to place us in Northern California, reasons unbeknownst to all of us, for better or worse. 


Every day I feel like I am constantly falling on my knees in prayer, asking God to forgive me for my struggle with discontentment and longing for something greater in life.  What I am beginning to realize is that God will show me the way. . . the reason that He wants our family here, the "why" behind our being planted.   He will take care of me, He will be my strong tower, my everlasting hope which I can stand upon.   It is what started me journaling my "1000 gifts" - the reasons for living and breathing - the God given purpose to my life.  I want to remember every day just how grateful I am and to fully be open to His ways in my life.   I pray when I get to that end I can look behind and see a deep, straight path, right to Jesus.
So for now, I may feel like I am missing something, but God knows I am gaining something even greater.  I will be content to wait out the reason that I've been called to "bloom" here, right where I've been planted.

Photobucket

Bloom, bloom where you're planted
You will find your way
Bloom, bloom, bloom where you're planted
You will have your day.

Look at the flowers, look at them growing
They never worry, they never work
Look at the way our Father clothes them
Each with beauty all its own
Each with beauty all its own

Some plant the seeds that others will water
But in all things, God give the growth
Come let Him garden the flowers within you
Come and discover some you've never known
Come and discover some you've never known
Look at the love that lies deep within you
Let yourself be! Let yourself be!
Look at the gifts you have been given
Let them go free! Let them go free!
Let them go free! Let them go free!


#200 - # 208

*    dirty spoons under the dining room table, babas, wanies and shirtless boy
*     chocolate frosting, chocolate cake and Lindsay who is now no longer in a car seat
*     playing trains with George late one Thursday evening after Bible Study
*     birthday girls during the month of March
*     "Dadda, Dadda, Where momma go?"  early in the morning coming from the crib
*     ice cream cakes and eight year old
*     birthdays and another year of serving God
*     talking to old friends early in the morning - so uplifting and just what I needed
*     quilting in bed late at night for new arriving babies amongst our friends

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Mom loves this quote!!!

~Kelsey~