Friday, April 21, 2017

My "I ams"

Being 48 this year doesn't seem so young anymore.  In the eyes of many, I'm still not old, but my days of being able to remember who I am seem to be a bit more foggy.  So, I write this for my children and my grandchildren to know my "I ams."   This is more than a journal, a simple written recount of my days.    It's who I am and who I've become and possibly who I want to be in the days to come.

I'll go first and then I want you to go.  Find a piece of paper, a notebook or a journal and a pencil and begin to write it down.  You don't need to be a writer to tell who you are, because only you really know.  Only you can say what God has placed in your heart.

So here goes.  Me - I am from Hawaii, Honolulu to be exact.  Everyone is always amazed to meet someone who was actually born in Hawaii.  I am from a family of 4 - just me and my sister and our parents.  I am from a sister who loves animals more than herself.  I am from a mother who is a creative spirit whom I know I get my creative persuasion from.  I am from a father who told me that to be successful in life I had to work at it and always strive to be the best I could be. Most days I feel confident saying that I've done that.

We moved to Northern California when I was 7, a second grader.  I am a girl from a small town, countryside cow-raising community.  But, we never owned any farm animals when I was growing up.  I was an outsider looking in on families who had lived in my community for generation after generation.  I am from a rural town, small house off of main street, girl who left for college just shortly after high school graduation; and never looked back.

Until. . . .

Fast forward to today.  I am married to my best friend, a man whom I could not live without.  I am mother to five, step mother to two, absolutely in love with all of my children.  I am a woman who stepped away from a 9 to 5, college educated, accounting degree career to be just a mom.    I am a woman who if you had told me in high school I would have seven children, I would have laughed!  I am in love with the privilege to raise these blessings from God.  I am the holder of tiny hands and sweet smiles that greet me every morning.  I am the listener to many late night teen discussions.  I am a grandmother to 5 beautiful little ones.

I am a homeschooling, unit studying, somewhat structured schooling mom.  I have been homeschooling for 14 years.  I am an avid collector (hoarder) of books and homeschool curriculum.  I love the freedom that homeschooling has allowed our family.  I am enjoying watching the fruits of my instruction.

I am one of God's children.  I am in awe of my relationship with Jesus.  I am in constant surrender of my life to the one who chose me out of the depths of sin that I was wallowing in.  I am in Scripture daily to rule my life and give me hope and guidance.

I am an avid seamstress, but I don't love to sew clothing.  I am into sewing quilts and things of burlap and occasionally mending something that has been ripped, torn or holey.  I am living on a one acre homestead which is back in my home town.  I am living the dream life that I had prayed for many years.  Home to a big wild garden with an abundance of green beans and pumpkins every year, especially zucchini.  But don't ask my children if that is a good thing!   I am a lover of digging in dirt and squishing it between my fingers.  I am a lover of animals, especially chickens and goats and maybe just maybe ducks.  I am a crazy chicken lady to some, others just love our eggs.   I am from a kitchen full of cast iron and a fear of cooking.     I am from a precise recipe following, by the book kind of cooking.   I am better at doing dishes than cooking.

I am from a family run, tractor loving, tractor selling, John Deere business, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know how to exactly drive a tractor.  I am not a fan of green, as most would think, but rather red has always been my favorite color.

I am from a giant pile of journals that are stashed in my nightstand table.  I am from a blog called "My Precious Peas" which is all about our family.  I am from several book shelves of informational educational books  - and yes, even the collection of Love Comes Softly series.  I am a youtube watching, Hallmark movies, Justin Rhodes and Weed 'Em and Reap farming vlogs.

I am embarking on a new adventure - hobby business.  I love "repurposing" my extra goat milk into soaps and lotions to bless those who suffer from really dry skin or just want really, really good soap.  I am into selling our eggs by our roadside stand and am okay having that stand be a landmark that people use to figure out where we live.  I am looking forward to the next leg of my journey, older homeschooled children, extra hands to help with the daily tasks of farm living, never anymore quiet time, but more connecting time with teens and tweens and lastly more date nights with my hubby.

Your turn!  Take some time today to record your "I ams" for your family.


No comments: