Friday, September 15, 2017

Canning Tomatoes. . . . 09.14.2017

Oh my!  I just looked at my calender and realized it's really halfway into September.  Has anyone else had that "Awh Ha" moment?    School is in full swing in our house;  I have 4 still participating in our Bibby Christian Academy; one in 9th, 7th, 5th and 3rd this year.   The excitement for beginning a new school year lasted all of  . . . 30 minutes.  No, I'm really kidding. . .  it was more like 3 days!  Lest you think that after 16 years of homeschooling I have it all together, pssshhh - Homeschooling is an ever evolving learning process for not only the students but for momma.  We always begin the new year with an annual "let's burn last year's papers" fire in the fire pit.  That coupled with some really dry pallets made for a very enjoyable evening with delicious smores.




Tomatoes, tomatoes everywhere.  That has been the motto of my kitchen part of August and into September.  When the tomatoes ripen, one must can tomatoes, make salsa (green and red) and spaghetti sauce.  Have I ever mentioned that my hubby my family really likes tomato based recipes?  So, hop in the car with us as we travel to our favorite spot to get THE BEST organic tomatoes.



It's only a 20 minute drive from our home, southbound on the 101.  If you haven't taken the time to travel through the Avenue of the Giants. . AKA - the Northcoast Redwoods. . .you need to!  There is something magical about driving through these towering giants looming over the top of you.  Gene and Ginger Sarvinski are the proud owners of the Corn Crib.


Sunflowers greeted us a we pulled up to the stand.  My children were more enamored with the sweet dog that needed some attention (which I am absolutely sure, she gets an abundance of all day long!)  Our first trip out there we loaded 80 pounds of tomatoes into the back of the van.  While that seems like a lot, it's really only 4 big boxes.   Since, then we've been back for 4 more boxes.  Yes, I am that crazy tomato canning lady!




The girls helped me immensely one day. . . it was homemaking skill learning day.  I'm not sure if they will can food for their family one day, but I sure think it's a skill worth passing along.  It is frustrating knowing that we can buy already processed food so much cheaper than canning our own. .  BUT . . I'm committed to teaching these children of mine a different way of life.  The time went by so much faster this way and it's a memory I will treasure for years.

Every good canner needs good products.  My water bath canner is on the verge of springing a hole in the bottom of it, so off to a flower planter it goes.  I'm due ready for another one anyway.  You will also need a set of tools.  George's favorite tool is the magnetized lid picker-upper - he calls it a "fishing pole," and always asks if he can go fishing with me.



In the end, after a lot of hard work and energy, you CAN(no pun intended) end up with a pantry looking full and stocked for the winter.  Plus, you will have the satisfaction knowing that you put it up with your own hands.  The Lord intended us to work hard. . 


Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. Exodus 20:9

You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. Job 1:10-11

I said in my heart,
"God shall judge the righteous and the wicked,
For there is a time there for every purpose and for every work." Eccl 3:17


No comments: